The ultimate aim is to highlight that overweight and obesity is second only to smoking as the cause of 13 cancers especially breast cancer. ‘Sugar Free’ focuses on sugars’ ‘empty calories’ and contribution to excess body weight as well as the fact the sugary foods often displace lower energy, high nutrient dense foods associated with improved cancer outcomes such as fruit and vegetables and wholegrains.
Alpro continues to focus on it's great tasting 'No Sugars' range of drinks and yogurt alternatives. Why not try this savoury pancake using the Alpro Unsweetened Oat drink.
200g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
210ml Alpro Oat Unsweetened drink
2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the salsa:
2 ripe avocado, 1cm dice
100g cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 x 300g tin sweetcorn, drained
30g bunch coriander, roughly chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 limes, juiced, plus extra wedges to serve
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Pinch of salt & pepper
250g Alpro Plain No Sugars alternative to yogurt
- For the salsa: mix all the salsa ingredients together and set aside.
- Place the flour and baking powder in a large bowl with a pinch of salt. In a jug, whisk the Alpro Oat Unsweetened drink with eggs.
- Using a balloon whisk, gradually mix the wet ingredients into the dry to make a pancake batter. Whisk until the batter is completely smooth.
- Brush a non-stick frying pan with some vegetable oil then pour in batter to make small 10cm pancakes, about 2-3 tbsp of batter. Cook until bubbles form on the surface then flip and cook until other side is golden. This will be about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve 2-3 pancakes a person with a spoonful of Alpro Plain No Sugars, a good serving of the salsa and extra lime wedges.