Acidity regulators regulate the acidity (What’s in a name? ;-)) in our plant-based alternatives to yogurt, desserts, ice cream and drinks. Why? For example, to counter balance the acidity of calcium in our products, to prevent it from affecting the taste and texture. They also prevent our drinks from curdling when used in hot recipes, like tea or coffee.
Depending on the recipe, we use different acidity regulators:
· Citric Acid – found naturally in lemons and other citrus fruits.
· Sodium Citrate – made from citric acid.
· Malic Acid – found naturally in most fruit and vegetables.
· Potassium Phosphates – a mineral that occurs naturally in our bodies.
· Lactic Acid – produced by ferments in yogurt and our plant-based alternatives to yogurt. Our version is 100% plant-based.