1. Cook the pasta to al dente.
2. Finely chop the red onion and garlic. Remove the chicory leaves and discard the hard central heart. Thinly slice the apple and immediately sprinkle the slices with lemon juice to prevent browning. Divide the smoked mackerel into bite-sized pieces and put to one side. (If you buy a whole fish then watch out for any tiny bones.)
3. Heat the margarine in a deep pan. Sauté the onion and garlic. After 2 to 3 minutes add the chicory leaves and stir until they have softened. De-glaze with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and add the slices of apple.
4. Pour in the Alpro Soya Unsweetened Wholebean and cook until it has the desired thickness. If you think it needs extra thickening, you can use a little cornflour mixed with cold water. Or, if you like it really saucy, just add more Alpro Soya Unsweetened Wholebean. Season with curry powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix well and taste as you go until it’s just as you like it, adding a little more lemon juice to taste.
5. Divide the pasta between the plates and spoon over the creamy chicory and apple sauce. Serve with the mackerel and sprinkle with a little cress. A quick and simple meal that all the family will enjoy.