Spinach, Squash & Lentil Dahl with Raita
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 400g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into even 1cm cubes
- 250g red split lentils
- 300ml reduced salt vegetable stock
- 300ml Alpro No Sugars Almond drink
- 80g bag of spinach
- Fresh Coriander for garnish
- For the Raita
- Handful Fresh Mint, finely chopped
- Half a Cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 200g Alpro Plain No Sugars alternative to yogurt
- Black pepper to season
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the chopped onion and cook over a low heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened.
Add crushed garlic clove, chopped red chilli and cook for a further 1 min. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and cook for 1 min more.
Turn up the heat to medium, add the squash cubes and stir everything together so the squash is coated in the spice mixture.
Stir in the red split lentils, vegetable stock and Alpro No Sugars Almond drink . Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes until the lentils are tender.
Meanwhile mix together all the ingredients for the raita. Cover with clingfilm and chill in fridge until ready to serve.
To finish, taste and adjust the seasoning of the dahl, then gently stir in the spinach. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Top with chopped coriander leaves, a lovely dollop of raita and serve with naan breads or chapatti.