Fruity Meringue Pudding
- 500ml Alpro Soya Original alternative to milk
- Grated zest of 2 small lemons or 1 large
- 25g butter/ hard margarine
- 1-2 tbsp. caster sugar
- 150g fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 egg yolks (reserve the whites for the meringue topping)
- 200g soft fruit, i.e. rasp, strawberries, blueberries (If using defrosted frozen or canned fruit, drain off the excess liquid).
- Meringue topping:
- 3 egg whites
- 45g caster sugar
Pre heat the oven to 170ºc fan, 190ºc conventional, Gas 5
In a medium saucepan heat the Alpro Soya Original with the lemon zest, butter/ hard margarine and sugar then quickly bring to the boil.
Place the breadcrumbs in the base of a 200cm x 7cm deep round dish and pour the hot liquid over the top. Leave to stand for 15-20minutes until the liquid has been absorbed.
Add the egg yolks to the dish and stir to combine. And cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and carefully spread the fruit evenly over the top.
To make the meringue; place the egg whites in a grease free bowl and whisk until the egg white forms soft peaks. Gradually add a spoonful of sugar at a time and whisk again until all the sugar has been added.
Spread the meringue over the top of the dish and cook for a further 12-15 minutes until the meringue is a light golden colour. Serve immediately