Spiced Chickpea and Squash Risotto
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable or mild olive oil
- 2 large red onions, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 medium-hot chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 20g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- 275g Alborio or Carnaroli risotto rice
- 900g squash or pumpkin, peeled, deseeded & cut into 1 cm cubes
- 250g leeks, cabbage or peas (or a mixture of them all)
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 500ml boiling water, kept warm on the hob
- 550ml Alpro® Coconut drink
- 400g can or carton chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- Zest & juice of 2 limes
- Salt & pepper, to season
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
In a large saucepan, heat 30ml/2 tbsp of the oil and cook the onions over a low heat for 10 minutes, giving them an occasional stir. Cooking them long and slow like this makes them deliciously sweet! Then turn up the heat, add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute.
Now add the rest of the oil to the pan and pour in the rice, stirring well to make sure all the rice grains have a nice coating of oil. Add the squash or pumpkin and your choice of veggies and mix in.
And now, the secret of a successful risotto. Patience! Add the hot stock bit by bit, and keep on stirring over a medium heat until the rice has soaked it all up before adding more. So, start with 200ml of stock, then add the Alpro Coconut drink in the same way. It should take about 20-25 minutes.
Now pour in the chickpeas, the zest & juice of the limes and season to taste. Serve straightaway with a scatter of the chopped fresh coriander. It’s all the colours of autumn on a plate.