Vegetable & Bean Bake
- 275g carrots, peeled & cut into 3cm pieces
- 140g leeks, peeled & cut into 3cm rings
- 275g squash, peeled & cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g onions, peeled & quartered
- 140g cooked beetroot, drained & chopped
- 380g carton/tin black beans, rinsed & drained (any other canned beans or chickpeas can be used)
- 60ml vegetable /mild olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 60g plain flour
- 675-700ml Alpro Almond Unsweetened drink
- 75g grated cheddar or (hard) cheese
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp. vegetable /mild olive oil
- 50g grated cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs, optional
Place the carrots, leeks & squash in a large saucepan with boiling water and cover with a lid. Cook on a medium heat until the vegetables are just soft to the point of a knife. 5 Minutes before the vegetables are ready, add the onion pieces to the pan.
To make the sauce; Heat the oil in a medium size saucepan add the garlic and cook gently for a few minutes then add the flour and stir well.
Add the milk gradually, beating the sauce well to prevent lumps. Continue adding the Alpro drink until the sauce is smooth then bring to the boil, stirring well.
Stir in the cheese and season to taste
To make the topping; Mix all the ingredients together
To finish; Drain the vegetables into a large ovenproof dish approx. 34 x 26 cms, add the cooked beetroot, black beans and pour over the cheese sauce.
Sprinkle with the bread crumb topping and place under the grill or in a hot oven 200ºc fan 400ºc Gas 6 until golden brown