Spiced Vegetable & Lentil Lasagne
- 2 tbsp vegetable or mild olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded & finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 3 tbsp ground garam masala/curry powder or 200g jar Tikka paste
- 500g carton tomato passata or 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 380g drained can/carton lentil (beans or chickpeas can be used instead)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100g fresh spinach, washed
- 150g mushrooms, wiped or peeled & sliced
- 250g leeks, finely sliced into rings, washed
- 8 sheets dried lasagne
- 4 tbsp (60ml) vegetable or mild olive oil
- 40g plain flour
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 300ml Alpro Almond or Oat drink
- 200ml Alpro Plain No Sugars (or Greek style ) alternative to yogurt
- 100g cheddar or hard cheese, grated
Pre heat the oven to 180ºc fan, 190ºc conventional, gas 5
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion & red pepper over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, then add the garlic and curry powder/paste cooking for a further 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, lentils and stock cube and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
To make the Sauce; Pour the oil into a small saucepan and stir in the flour, place over a medium heat and add the Alpro drink a little at a time, beating well with each addition to prevent lumps. Bring to the boil , add the nutmeg (if using) & season to taste. Stir in half the grated cheese.
Leave to cool slightly then stir in the Alpro alternative to yogurt
To put the lasagne together; Lightly oil the base of an ovenproof 34 x 25cm dish and lay 4 sheets of dried lasagne across the base.
Spoon over half the spicy lentil mixture and top with the spinach and leeks
Cover with the other 4 sheets of lasagne and spoon over the remaining spicy lentil mixture, top with the mushrooms and pour the cheese sauce evenly over the top
Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake in the oven 1 hour. If the top becomes too brown, cover with baking parchment. Delicious served with a fresh salad or garlic bread